Thursday, March 7, 2019

Butterfly Afghan

I want to share the story behind my stitching project "Butterfly Afghan".

Back in 2006, I saw the first ad for this upcoming series in the Stoney Creek Collections Magazine.  I knew I had to have it...  So I collected all the magazines that year, then for Christmas my mom gifted me the afghan.  I just stored it away but knew someday I would get to it. 

With the passing of my mom in November 2017.  It was such a shock, leaving a huge hole in my heart along with my life.  She was my best friend, I would talk to her every day.  During that first year, my sisters and I divided up her cross stitch projects and some of her charts.  It was around then that I restarted stitching on a more regular bases.

So at the end of 2018, I started thinking about what I was planning to stitch in 2019.  I came upon the afghan....  It may sound weird to some but I just felt the love of my mom when I held that afghan.  I kitted it up and actually started stitching on in Dec 23, 2018.

My goal was to finish it in 2019....  I was moving along on the blocks and loved stitching on it but then something happened and I didn't want to make it a goal anymore.  I just want to enjoy stitching it and think of my mom as I do.  (Not make it a race... just feel the love and enjoy.)  So I have taken it off the goal list.  If you knew me that in itself is a challenge for me because I am very goal driven.

I know when I have it finished I will be able to wrap myself in that afghan feeling her love and connection.  It will forever have a special meaning to me. I am always looking for signs from mom so I can feel her with me on this amazing journey we call life. 

4 comments:

Katie said...

Your mother was a great person. I was lucky to have known her. Good for you for not pushing yourself. It makes the love go away from the project. This one deserves all the feel good it holds.

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

It's a beautiful afghan and I completely understand wanting to work on it longer.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely story and I quite agree, take your time stitching this and really enjoy remembering your Mum as you stitch.

Astrids dragon said...

That will be a beautiful memory of her when you're finished with it. Take your time and enjoy every stitch.

August WIPocalypse

Its that time of the month again, where I check in with this group that is doing the WIPocalypse SAL  You can check out the other posts here...